Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Eat Pray Love

I read recently that Julia Roberts decided to convert to Hinduism after playing the lead in the film "Eat Pray Love". The viewing public had lapped up this film and females friends had fallen over each other to praise it saying, "You've got to see it" and not one (that I was aware of) made any comment about the "faith" portrayed in the film.

It occurred to me - would this film have been so successful if the "pray" part of the film had not been Hinduism but had been Christianity? Somehow, I suspect not...but why? This is my gut reaction - it's not based on any sound research.

I've googled "Christianity Eat Pray Love" and read some fascinating reviews - showing the whole range of views but the Bible says;

"I am the way, the truth and the life and no one comes to the Father except through me" (John 14:6)

So it seems fairly straightforward, if this is to be believed then Elizabeth Gilbert has been barking up the wrong tree.

4 comments:

  1. And yet Eat, Pray, Love is surely at the heart of the Eucharist (thanksgiving) service.

    What is interesting is that diet plays a part in "Eat Pray Love", as part of a spirtual discipline, but "eat" does not play a part in the centre of devotion itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you don't mind me posting a but on your blog, but I find your postings very interesting, sharp and questioning, and good for prompting my own thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very nice to receive a comment - thank you for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a very joyful Easter. I shall be up with the dawn chorus, at 6.am in the Rectory field where we have a bonfire (sacred fire), before taking the lit candle from that and processing to the first service of the day in the Fisherman's Chapel.

    ReplyDelete